Hervey Bay Dive Centre's 'Southern Great Barrier Reef Dive Expedition' will put before you some of the best and varied dive sites in Australia
The Southern Great Barrier Reef (GBR) has numerous dive sites with a wide variety of topography and depth range. The live aboard expeditions will be travelling to four different areas, Lady Elliot Island, Lady Musgrave Island, Fairfax Island, and the ex-HMAS Tobruk wreck site located within the Great Sandy Marine Park.
Visibility can anywhere between 10m up to 40m depending on the time of year and of course weather conditions and on the outer reef depths will range between 10-25m and inside the lagoon between 2-8m. The ex-HMAS Tobruk dive will take you to 31m.
The Southern Great Barrier Reef hosts the most amazing array of sea life and in particular the manta ray populations at Elliot and Musgrave. During winter months the majestic Humpback whales can be encountered as they hang out on their migration from Antarctica.
Detail information is available at: www.advance2.com.au
Note: Weather on the day and tides may alter the program slightly ..
- Check in 1 hour prior to departure time.
- Depart on the high tide of the day
- Motor sail to ex HMAS Tobruk for Dive 1 and Dive 2 (night dive)
- Overnight to Fairfax Islands
- Dive 3 18m dive at Fairfax
- Dive 4 Snorkel (photography) along 2m - 3m reef
- Dive 5 18m dive at Fairfax
- Motor to Lady Musgrave (1hour)
- Dive 6 16m fringe reef at Musgrave
- Motor into Lagoon and anchor up
- Dive 7 Scooter/snorkel in lagoon
- Overnight at Musgrave
- Dive 8 early dive at Musgrave
- Weigh anchor and depart lagoon
- Dive 9 16m fringe reef at Musgrave
- Motor Sail to Lady Elliot (4hours)
- Dive 10 at Elliot
- Dive 11 at Elliot (maybe snorkel or scuba)
- Depart Elliot and overnight to Fraser Island waters
- Cruise along Fraser (K'gari) Island
- Swim/snorkel/scuba depending on time conditions etc
- Arrive Hervey Bay on the Tide
- Berth: $1650
Note: Although children are welcome aboard we recommend that in the first instance you discuss with the staff
- Up to 10 dive tours including, 1 x night dive/ and various snorkel opportunities
- Tanks and weights
- In-water dive instructors/dive masters
- Meals provided will include breakfast, morning tea; lunch; afternoon tea; dinner and snacks (special diets should be discussed at booking)
- Drinks; tea & coffee; fruit juice; soft drinks
- Bedding and towels
- Fish and coral reference books
- 12v charging facility for battery packs/cameras and the like
- Stand up Paddle Boards are available as well for use on request
NOTE: Dive/Snorkel Equipment hire is available on request!
What to bring
- Clothing. The temperatures in Nov- March are warm! Shorts and t-shirt day and evening. Pack a long sleeve top for cooler nights. April – Oct are cool in the evenings and mornings so pack layers and a couple of warm sweatshirts. Don’t forget the beanie!
- Sun protection – Hat, sunglasses and a light sun shirt
- Dive/snorkel equipment (the ship will carry an array of spares)
- Toiletries and medication (soap, hand wash and sunscreen are provided)
- Camera of course
- Luggage allowances on-board include: 1 x soft dive kit bag excluding tanks and weights. 1 x soft personal bag up to 15kgs. We prefer soft bags for ease of stowage.
- BYO - We allow BYO alcohol. NOTE: consumption of alcohol is at the discretion of the ships master or his/her nominee.